2.26.2015

Hummus


Morning snack: blueberries, raspberries and pomegranate and Greek yogurt
Lunch: Hummus, Triscuits, organic colby jack cheese, yellow bell peppers and cucumbers
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Oh my goodness, hummus.  This is another one of my favorite foods and not only because it's delicious.  I basically add it to everything or I eat it on its own with raw vegetables or whole wheat Triscuits (also one of my favorites, it only has 3 ingredients!).  I make my hummus for every get together and the flavor depends on my mood.  Of course LQ likes the basic one, the one I use as a base for all the others.  In the past I've made roasted red pepper hummus, avocado hummus, roasted garlic hummus, oregano hummus, sun-dried tomato and basil, and chipotle hummus.  But, they all start with this recipe.

Ingredients

1 cup dried garbanzo beans
2 medium garlic cloves
1/3 cup tahini
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 TBS ground cumin
salt to taste

Method

In a large pot, cover the garbanzo beans with water and turn heat to high.  Once it begins boiling cover and lower heat.  It takes a while for the garbanzo beans to cook, make sure to keep a watch on the water level.  Add more water when needed.  Once cooked, cool the beans to at least room temperature. 

Food process the garlic cloves.  Add all the other ingredients and process until smooth.  Add more lime juice or olive oil if the hummus is too dry.  I generally opt for lime juice over olive oil because I just love the taste.  

Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment