1.27.2015

Cherrytinis


Morning snack: Blueberries and vanilla greek yogurt
Lunch: Chicken quesadillas, avocado slices and cherrytinis (aka cherry tomatoes)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I know you saw the title and thought to yourself....isn't her blog about kid's food?  I know, I know, it was deceiving but based on a true and somewhat story.

So LQ (little Queen) is a fan of all fruits and vegetables except for potatoes, tomatoes and kiwi.  Now kiwi, I get.  She and I have a slight allergic reaction when we eat too much of it so she just won't eat it at all.  I, on the other hand, love it and eat it anyway!  But potatoes and tomatoes, I have no idea.  I mean, what kid doesn't like french fries and potato chips?  She won't eat potato chips if you call them such but will eat them if you call them chips.  And she'll eat sweet potatoes if I call them yams (and she doesn't see me prepare them).  What's funny is that if you call marinara "tomato sauce", as many restaurants do, she won't eat it.  She'll even get a bit annoyed by the fact that they even offer her tomato sauce.  But if you call it "spaghetti sauce" she's cool with it.  

So, the other day we were at the grocery store and I thought, what the heck let's see if this same concept can be applied to tomatoes.  So I picked up a box of cherry tomatoes and talked about how cute they were and how delicious they tasted, blah, blah, blah.  Then she asked what they were.  I nearly called them cherry tomatoes, but because I'm such a smooth mama, who wasn't at all panicking (yeah right) I instead called them cherrytinis. Of course afterwards I thought to myself, really....that's the best you could do?  So there you go, the nonalcoholic, nonbeverage related cherrytini was born.  Of course, it will only take one kid in her classroom pointing out that they are in fact tomatoes to completely derail my plan but I'll keep my fingers crossed that this does not happen.  Cross your fingers too!

Do your kids avoid any food?  Do you have creative ideas on how to get around these avoidances? (Yes, I think I made up that word.)

No comments:

Post a Comment