1.22.2015

Mac and cheese


Morning snack: green apples and pistachios
Lunch: macaroni and cheese, steamed broccoli and "chicken"
Afternoon snack: Stonyfield yogurt
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I was debating what I should make for LQ, so I asked her.  She immediately said, chicken, mac and cheese, broccoli and yogurt.  How easy was that!  Now the best part, I made mac and cheese from scratch! I love making it this way because I know exactly what is in it.  I know that it contains no preservatives or additives.  And LQ loves it!

Mac and cheese 

Ingredients
1 TBS wheat flour
2 tsp butter
1/3 cup 2% milk
1/8 cup shredded parmesan cheese
1/3 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 cup whole wheat fusilli 
salt and pepper to taste

Method
Cook fusilli according to the the instructions on the box and set aside.  Over medium to low heat melt the butter and add wheat flour.  Use a whisk to combine until all the flour until it is moist and continue stirring for a couple of minutes.  Add milk and continue mixing with the whisk until the flour breaks up and makes the milk thick.  Once the flour is all broken up add the cheese and continue stirring to make the cheese sauce.  Add pasta.  Enjoy!

**This method works with almost any cheese.  The roux (a.k.a. the flour and butter part) helps to keep the cheese sauce from breaking and thickens it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment