3.19.2015

Eat the Rainbow


Morning snack:  quinoa porridge and raisins
Lunch: Turkey, avocado and cheese sandwich on a whole wheat English muffin, Greek yogurt and shredded baby carrots
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nope, I'm not referring to Skittles.  

Eat the rainbow is a phrase commonly used to remind people that they should eat fruits and vegetables of every color.  This is something I try to practice on a daily basis without giving it much thought.  But I was reminded of the concept during a recent visit to my favorite grocery store.  Upon entering the store they have a form stand with lots of different food activities, mostly for children.  LQ picked up this form, which is helpful in tracking your consumption of fruits and vegetables.  It's also helpful in that it provides lists of the various fruits and vegetables and where they fall on the rainbow.  

Today I decided to shred the carrots, they somehow taste better this way.  LQ is a bit iffy when eating carrots.  Sometimes she'll get them, sometimes she won't.  But a few weeks ago I made carrot zucchini muffins with LQ and after shredding the carrots she asked if she could eat some of them.  She proceeded to eat about 1/2 a cup, which is likely more than 10 baby carrots.  

So, maybe changing the form of the food can encourage your little ones to eat something they are reluctant to eat.  Try it, let me know how it turns out!



LA's meal: Turkey, shredded carrots, broccoli and strawberries

2 comments:

  1. Love this! I saved the Wegman's document, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It can be useful, especially if you get into the habit of eating the same foods over and over. I particularly like the list on page 2. It's such a great reminder of the vast variety of healthy foods available.

    ReplyDelete