12.03.2014

Forget all about canned beans


Morning snack: hard boiled egg and Chex mix
Lunch: turkey quesadilla, black beans and avocado
Afternoon snack: hummus and red bell peppers

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You'll NEVER buy or use canned beans again!  (You should be excited about this by the way.)

I chalk up my love for beans to being Mexican but surely we're not the only bean lovers. They are extremely versatile and did I mention they're CHEAP. I think you can get a bag of beans for about a buck...bonus!

Please don't be frightened by the fact that I said a bag of bean and not a can of beans.  Cooking dry beans is as easy as going to bed, literally.

Ingredients

Water
2 cloves of garlic
1/2 bag of Goya black or pinto beans

Method
  • Rinse beans in a strainer and make sure no rocks are present
  • Put water in a crock pot, to about 75% 
  • Add beans and garlic
  • Set the temperature to high (or low if leaving it on over night on high makes you uncomfortable)
  • Go to bed
  •  In the morning test the beans for tenderness 
  • Add salt to taste (I added about a table spoon)
  • Refrigerate within 2 hours (in plenty of bean juice)
Note: Pinto beans soak up more water so you may need to add water. I generally add water right before I go to bed and set the temperature on low.

So this is the most basic way to cook beans,  you're creating a bean stock if you will, that gives you the freedom to cook multiple dishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment