12.01.2014

Pancake cupcakes

Morning snack: Ella's coconut milk nutritional shake, Triscuits with almond butter and raisins and sliced apples

Lunch: Vegetarian pasta with veggie crumble, sliced apples and miniature "cupcakes"

Afternoon snack: pistachios and carrots
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Pasta dishes are always my go to when I have vegetables that are on the verge of going bad, when I need a quick meal or when I want to load my kiddos up with veggies.  Here's a one pot pasta dish you can make in under 20 minutes.  Here we go...

Ingredients:
2 TBS olive oil
1/2 Spanish onion (finely chopped)
3 garlic cloves (finely chopped)
2 carrots
2 zucchinis
chopped baby spinach - I load it up!
1/2 - 28 oz can crushed tomato
1 carton low sodium vegetable broth
1/2 box whole wheat pasta - I used fusilli to make it more fun

Method:
In a pot saute onion and garlic in olive oil until the onion is transparent.  Add the remaining ingredients and 1 cup of water.  Lower heat.  It's ready as soon as the pasta is cooked.

Ta-da!  Easy peasy!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I've convinced my daughter that putting pancake mix in cupcake baking liner is a cupcake!!  As an added bonus I have her help me make them and I teach her about measurements.

Ingredients:
1 ripe banana
1 1/4 cup soy milk/almond milk
1 TBS agave or maple syrup (more if you'd like it a little sweeter)
1 cup whole wheat flour
2 tsp sodium-free baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup pecans (crush after measuring)
sprinkle of cinnamon

Method:

Mash up the banana in a large bowl and add the milk and syrup.  In a separate bowl combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.  Combine the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients and fold in pecans.  Pour mixture into pre-oiled cupcake liners.  Bake at 350.  The timing will depend on what size liners you use.  Just make sure your toothpick comes out clean when you insert it into the center.

These keep pretty well in the fridge for about 4-5 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment